The Russian government has given the go-ahead on an ambitious new tunnel project that could connect Siberia with Alaska via an underground rail line. If completed, the $65 billion project will be the longest underwater tunnel in the world, besting the Chunnel between England and France by twice the distance. The planned course would stretch over 65 miles and would snake beneath the Big and Little Diomede Islands. According to Inhabitat, the project will be funded by a private and public partnership. So why build it?
Aside from being a civil engineering marvel, the tunnel would also provide an efficient way to move 100 million tons of freight per year. In addition, the tunnel could provide an easy transmission route for electricity developed by tidal energy stations and wind plants in Russia to Alaska and Canada. In addition, the rail system would complete a high-speed network that could stretch from London to New York City. Unfortunately, the project doesn't seem to be geared toward passenger travel. At least, not for now.
A new video on YouTube is causing an uproar, as critics question why Transportation Security Administration (TSA) agents at the New Orleans airport gave an intense pat-down to a 6-year-old girl.Â The video shows a female TSA agent explaining the security procedure to the child's mother and then having the 6-year-old girl spread her arms and legs for the pat-down, which includes "sensitive areas," in the words of the agent.The child complains and the mom asks if re-scanning might be an option. The TSA agent replies, "no." The agent does try to calm the girl, telling her she has "pretty hair," and appears to conduct the pat-down in a gentle manner.The incident occurred at Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans last week.The family in the video is from Kentucky, and the mom, Selena Drexel, tells ABC's "Good Morning America" that they wereÂ returning from a vacationÂ when their daughter, Anna, underwent the pat-down. Anna's father, Todd Drexel, says his daughter started to cry afterward.
An Air France jumbo jet bound for Paris clipped the tail of a Delta Comair commuter plane while taxiing last night at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport.Â
There were no injuries, though passengers were startled, and the planes appeared to be damaged.
"It was pretty damned scary," Poppy Lawton, 29, of London, who was aboard the Delta flight, tells theÂ New York Daily News. "You could hear things breaking, almost like glass breaking."
AnÂ Air FranceÂ spokeswoman tellsÂ AOL Travel NewsÂ the Airbus A380 with 495 passengers and 25 crew onboard "was taxiing and the other one (plane) was parking" when the incident occurred around 8:09 p.m.
She says the carrier is cooperating with the National Transportation Safety Board in their investigation. "They are looking into the matter," the Air France spokeswoman says.
The A380 is theÂ world's biggestÂ commercial passenger plane.
Everything shrinks in a recession: GDP, investment portfolios, even the products on store shelves. ConsumerÂ goods companies know that customers won't go for price increases during a downturn. Instead they often use a different tactic to offset things such as new competition or the rising cost of raw materials: cutting quantity while maintaining price. Yet it may not be obvious that your ice cream or OJ containers have shrunk. Manufacturers must note new specs on packaging, but the changes don't have to be advertised (ever seen a now smaller! label?). Here's a look at one of the most recent examples.
HERE'S A LIST OF WHAT THEY CAN'T DO! (MEN ONLY)
- No hugging
- No kissing
- No skipping
- No fishnet shirts
- No bare midriff
- No dressing room sharing
- No food sharing at restaurants
- No booth sharing at restaurants
- Must have all hands and legs above the table and in sight at all times and keep shoes on in reatuarant.
- No leg shaving (gay or not unless your last name is Armstrong. Some feel it may add to confusion?)
- No sitting close in trucks.
- No arm on husband's seat when driving
- No pink sandals or shirts tied in knots
- No Cowboy hats
- No motorcycle riding
- No matching shirts or clothes
- No piggyback rides
- No public arguing or bickering
- No tattoos with husband's name
- No cigarette lighting for one another
- No door opening (car or home)
- No hands up shirts or down pants
- No jacket taking off or putting on for husband
- No "knuckles" MUST high-5! (straight guys get knuckles - no exceptions)
- No chicken fighting in pools (cock fighting in public punishible by death)
- No bachelor parties
- No body shots
- No shots named after sex acts
- No looking back to ogle or gawk at other guys when your husband ISN'T present
- No public singing (especially duets in karaoke bars)
- No lotioning each other at beaches or pools
- Must own small dogs ONLY
- Must have limo-tinted car windows
- No truck driver flashing
- Must have curtains, drapes, sheets, aluminum foil, or blinds CLOSED at ALL times on shared dwelling
- Don't act gay!