A New Beer Called "Chick Beer" Calls Itself the Only Beer Designed For Women (and afternoon disc jerkies!)
There's a new beer brand called CHICK BEER which calls itself the, quote, "only beer brand designed for women." (--Apparently it's never heard of Michelob Ultra, but whatever.)
--Women drink about 25% of all the beer sold in the U.S., so it makes sense to market beer to them. Chick is a light beer . . . obviously . . . that's low carb . . . obviously . . . and a decently-low 97 calories in a 12-ounce bottle . . . obviously.
--It's also less carbonated to lead to less BURPING. And it comes in hot pink packaging.
--It's made in Maryland and, for now, it doesn't appear to be available anywhere BUT Maryland . . . but we'd assume the manufacturers are working on taking their beer for broads broader.
Everyone likes a good amount of bass when their favorite tunes are playing through their stereo; but is there any such thing as too much bass? Some might say no. Others will watch this video and disagree.
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/QgH1b-IyZgg" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
MONDAY, AUGUST 8TH, IS MY 23rd ANNIVERSARY ON KRXQ. In honor of all the great people I've ever worked with at this fine radio station, here's the KRXQ "Honor Roll"...everyone I've ever worked with! Thank you everybody, co-workers and listeners alike, for all the great times over the years!!!!
Bob Fuller (original owner...great man!)
Brad Adams (original 93 Rock)
Brian Page (the good doctor!)
Charlie Thomas (original 93 Rock)
Dani Thomas (Whitmore)
Dave “The Hammer” Mallett
George Skofis (R.I.P.)
Greg Brown (McGregor)
Jamie Campos Miner
Jeff Williams (good man...R.I.P.)
Jim Fox (best PD in the country!)
Jim Matthews (original 93 Rock)
Justin Case (original 93 Rock)
Karen Begin (Darian O’Toole R.I.P.)
Kevin “Boom Boom” Anderson (original 93 Rock)
Kevin “Spanky” Prater (original 93 Rock)
Marta Wilson Sykes
Mike John (my friend and mentor... R.I.P.)
Pamela Roberts (original 93 Rock)
Rebekka Hart Armstrong
According to The Pulse of Radio, Jimmy Page's 1971 solo to LED ZEPPELIN's "Stairway To Heaven" topped the Gibson.com list of the "Top 50 Guitar Solos Of All Time." Coming in at No. 2 is Eddie Van Halen's 1978 groundbreaking instrumental "Eruption" from VAN HALEN's self-titled debut, with Jimi Hendrix's solo on his 1968 cover of BOB DYLAN's "All Along The Watchtower" rounding out the Top 3.
Hendrix made the list four times â the most of any guitarist. Eric Clapton scored three times with solos for tracks with CREAM, THE BEATLES, and DEREK & THE DOMINOES. In addition to his runner-up spot with "Eruption", Van Halen's 1982 solo on MICHAEL JACKSON's "Beat It" came in at No. 50.
Jimmy Page â whose solos to LED ZEPPELIN's "Since I've Been Loving You", "Heartbreaker" and "Whole Lotta Love" also made the list â says that after all the success LED ZEPPELIN had, the real reward has been that the music has lasted so well: "The most satisfying, the most rewarding part of it, is having been part of music like that, which has stood up to the test of time. Every musician hopes that their music will hold up. And it's wonderful."
Peter Frampton has been close friends with Page since the mid-1960s. He frequently watched ZEPPELIN record in the early '70s at London's Olympic Studios, while taking breaks from his own recordings and was consistently impressed with Jimmy Page's guitar technique: "He's a very well-rounded player. His technique on acoustic is phenomenal. And he uses various different open tunings. He tunes his guitar down and there's a special 'Jimmy Page' tuning (laughs) that he uses on a lot of the stuff."
Gibson.com's "Top 50 Guitar Solos Of All Time":
01. Stairway To Heaven" - Jimmy Page (LED ZEPPELIN)
02. Eruption" - Eddie Van Halen (VAN HALEN)
03. All Along The Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix (THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE)
04. Hotel California" - Don Felder and Joe Walsh (THE EAGLES)
05. Comfortably Numb" - David Gilmour (PINK FLOYD)
06. Free Bird" - Gary Rossington and Allen Collins (LYNYRD SKYNYRD)
07. Layla" - Eric Clapton and Duane Allman (DEREK & THE DOMINOS)
08. While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - Eric Clapton (THE BEATLES)
09. Johnny B. Goode" - Chuck Berry
10. Bohemian Rhapsody" - Brian May (QUEEN)
11. Crazy Train" - Randy Rhoads (OZZY OSBOURNE)
12. 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers" - Jeff Beck
13. Sweet Child O' Mine" - Slash (GUNS N' ROSES)
14. Hot For Teacher" - Eddie Van Halen (VAN HALEN)
15. Since I've Been Loving You" - Jimmy Page (LED ZEPPELIN)
16. November Rain" - Slash (GUNS N' ROSES)
17. Mr. Crowley" - Randy Rhoads (OZZY OSBOURNE)
18. Whole Lotta Rosie" - Angus Young (AC/DC)
19. Like A Hurricane" - Neil Young
20. Sultans Of Swing" - Mark Knopfler (DIRE STRAITS)
21. Texas Flood" - Stevie Ray Vaughan (STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN & DOUBLE TROUBLE)
22. One" - Kirk Hammett (METALLICA)
23. Cortez The Killer" - Neil Young
24. Rock Around the Clock" - Danny Cedrone (BILL HALEY & THE COMETS)
25. Sweet Jane - Live" - Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner (LOU REED)
26. Purple Rain" - Prince (PRINCE & THE REVOLUTION)
27. Heartbreaker" - Jimmy Page (LED ZEPPELIN)
28. Jessica" - Dickey Betts (THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND)
29. Machine Gun" - Jimi Hendrix
30. Crossroads" - Eric Clapton (CREAM)
31. Time" - David Gilmour (PINK FLOYD)
32. Are You Experienced?" - Jimi Hendrix (THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE)
33. Race With the Devil" - Cliff Gallup (GENE VINCENT)
34. Don't Believe A Word" - Brian Robertson (THIN LIZZY)
35. Purple Haze" - Jimi Hendrix (THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE)
36. Besame Mucho" - Wes Montgomery
37. Sympathy For The Devil" - Keith Richards (THE ROLLING STONES)
38. Blue Sky" - Duane Allman and Dickey Betts (THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND)
39. My Sharona" - Berton Averre (THE KNACK)
40. Marquee Moon" - Tom Verlaine (TELEVISION)
41. Hitch A Ride" - Tom Scholz (BOSTON)
42. The End" - Paul McCartney, John Lennon, and George Harrison (THE BEATLES)
43. Whole Lotta Love" - Jimmy Page (LED ZEPPELIN)
44. Train Kept A-Rollin' - Live" - Joe Perry (AEROSMITH)
45. Highway Star" - Ritchie Blackmore (DEEP PURPLE)
46. Dirt" - Ron Asheton (THE STOOGES)
47. Off The Handle" - Rory Gallagher
48. The Great Curve" - Adrian Belew (THE TALKING HEADS)
49. The Messiah Will Come Again" - Roy Buchanan
50. Beat It" - Eddie Van Halen (MICHAEL JACKSON)
Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold and Stone Sour are teaming up for a late summer tour dubbed Uproar 2010. But they've announced only one date so far, August 24th in Toronto. The entire itinerary will be posted soon at RockStarUproar.com. All three acts will be supporting new albums that are due out this summer.
Motley Crue singer Vince Neil has a couple of important dates lined up this spring. On May 7th, the 14th annual Skylar Neil Memorial Golf Tournament will take place in Simi Valley, California. The tournament raises funds for the Skylar Neil Foundation, named after Neil's daughter who died of cancer in 1995. And on June 22nd, Neil's new solo album, Tattoos and Tequila, will hit stores.
A rare Led Zeppelin concert recording was recently discovered at a car trunk sale in England, according to Classic Rockmagazine. Dubbed onto C-D, the recording captures the band at St. Matthews Baths Hall, a converted swimming pool in Ipswich, England in November 1971. No word on if Led Zep will try to purchase the recording or release it.
Alice in Chains fans might want to listen to "Your Decision" backwards. Drummer Sean Kinney says that "Bigfoot exists in that song" and that it's filled with hidden messages. But we're pretty sure singer-guitarist William DuVall is joking when explains that you can hear "Sean is dead" when it's played backwards.
Korn will playing small venues this spring on the Ballroom Blitz Tour, which kicks off May 2nd in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Only seven dates have been announced so far, but 16 more shows will be added soon.
Korn will be debuting tracks from their new album, Korn Three: Remember Who You Are, which is due out this summer.
Former Van Halen and Chickenfoot bass player Michael Anthony is this week's guest blogger for A-O-L Radio, talking about his favorite songs and how they influenced him. Among his picks are "Texas" by the Electric Flag, which he said made him want to play the bass, Cream's version of "Crossroads" and Led Zeppelin's "Lemon Song." --Sal Cirrincione
1) Montrose: "Rock Candy"
6) AC/DC: "Sin City"
2) Grand Funk Railroad: "Sin's a Good Man's Brother"
7) The Who: "Young Man Blues" (Live at Leeds)
3) Deep Purple: "Child in Time"
8) Jimi Hendrix: "Crosstown Traffic"
4) Humble Pie: "I Don't Need No Doctor" (Live at the Fillmore)
9) Led Zeppelin: "The Lemon Song"
5) Cream: "Crossroads" (Live)
10) The Electric Flag: "Texas"
Late Night With Jimmy Fallon will celebrate the re-release in May of The Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street by having different acts perform songs off the classic album for one full week. This will take place the week of May 10th, although none of the acts have been announced and it's not known if the Stones will participate. The final night, Friday, May 14th, will feature the premiere of a new documentary about the making of the album, Stones in Exile. The deluxe edition of Exile on Main Street will be out on May 18th.
Scott Weiland blames the wives of his former Velvet Revolver bandmates for causing his split with the supergroup. He tells Details magazine, "When Velvet Revolver first got together it was great... We had all been through the same experiences, and it felt like a gang. But everyone was a rock star. There were petty jealousies. Then the wives got involved with the business of the band, and that was the beginning of the downfall."
Here's Bon Jovi "Super Fan" Jessica Rogers, an account executive here at 98 Rock, with her fiance' who had plastic surgery to look like Jon Bon Jovi:
And here's Jessica on the air with me answering Bon Jovi trivia questions (just click on the link below):
98 Rock presents Metallica at the Arco Arena on Tuesday, December 8th! Ticket prices will be $55 and $77, not counting the additional fees we all know and love. The show goes on sale Saturday, April 4th, at all Ticketmaster outlets, and their web site. This show will be "in the round", with floor tickets being General Admission, which will be the $77 price, and all other seats being reserved, which will be the $55 tickets. As soon as I get more info I'll post it right here.